Sunday, October 13, 2013

Netherstream: Diary of the Undead - Entry #6

13 October - 11:51 A.M.

The higher the elevation, the more likely you are to survive. At least that’s been my experience thus far. But what about going underground or below sea level? Does the theory still hold up then?

No doubt there are nuclear submarines circling the seven seas at this very moment. They must feel like gods! Armed to the teeth and virtually untouchable, they can endure extreme conditions and blow away anything in their path. As long as they keep their systems running and crews motivated, they’re golden.

Over the years they’ve trained for situations like this, with nuclear war as the catalyst. They’ve been instructed what to do if the planet became uninhabitable and few people remained. Although a global pandemic may have seemed unlikely at the time, they prepared for it nonetheless. I wouldn’t be surprised if they parked themselves in Antarctica, fed off penguins and sea lions, and waited this out.

If I were in space, I’d do everything I could to delay returning to earth. None of NASA’s designated landing spots are secure and the airports are teeming with death and plague. Landing at sea would be safer, but to what end? Ultimately, everyone has to return to shore.

Personally, I’d prefer to sit atop Pike’s Peak and pick off zombies following me up, but I’m better off sticking to rooftops. Sure, there’s still far too much company than I’m comfortable with, but at least you have some maneuverability and occasional access to food. Besides, whether I’m on the Love Boat or holed up in the Sky Hotel in Aspen, supplies always run thin and every outpost falters eventually.

It also gets lonely. Very lonely.

Perhaps the zombies can point out someone I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment