Monday, December 2, 2013

Netherstream: Diary of the Undead - Entry #17

14 October - 1:10 P.M.

Crap! Is that a third soldier walking around? It looks like I’m not going anywhere. I’ll just sit back with my stash of hushpuppies and bottled water and enjoy the festivities.

It helps that there’s no direct access to the balcony. It’s for show only, a false stage to watch the real fireworks below. I had to scale the outer walls before I could climb over the railing and hide behind the flickering electric sign. Light attracts everything: bugs, zombies, humans and the like. Perhaps that was the first clue that I would find trouble here, but it’s too late now. I’m stuck on Park Place without a pair of dice to move me to the next square. What will it take to pass Go and collect my shiny souvenir? A little blood? My life?

It would be great to have the cloaking ability that these soldiers do, but technology like that comes at a price. Once I get my hands on it, I’ll be swapping one predator for another. They’ll hunt me down and reclaim their hardware unless I can convince them that I’m the least of their worries.

I’m harmless, really. I just want to protect myself—is that too much to ask? If they were in my position surely they’d do the same thing, but is that really an advantage? Does anyone feel anything anymore? I don’t want to hurt anyone; I just want to collect what I can and move on to the cycle.

Perhaps one of the soldiers will make a mistake and expose himself. I can’t expect them to hand over the armor voluntarily. But if I set the trap, am I willing to kill for it? With so many hungry mouths to feed, perhaps I won’t have to.

It’s tempting to jump down and walk around a little. My legs are cramped and I could use the exercise. Unfortunately, my vantage point only tells me so much of what’s actually going on down there. I hear things…horrible things…especially at night. What horrors are waiting for me down below?

The last thing I need is a whole football team of zombies chasing me into the horizon. There’s no choice. I must sit and wait.

I’ll just treat this as a Sunday Afternoon Double Feature. Perhaps I’ll see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment