Friday, December 6, 2013

Netherstream: Diary of the Undead - Entry #21

15 October - 8:02 A.M.

Henry be nimble
Henry be quick
Henry ate too many hushpuppies
And got really sick

Supplies are running low, and what was left of my stash got upchucked on a pair of passing zombies that strolled into town this morning. Since it was still dark, they couldn’t figure out where the projectile vomit had come from and quickly attacked the body next to them. Thankfully the military didn’t notice, or at least appeared not to. I waited for them to pluck me from my cozy perch and blow me to smithereens, but nothing happened.

Whew!

Inevitably, I will need to raid the kitchen again. The hushpuppies I ate were growing old and stale. Not everything green is good for you.

Though the power to the building is erratic, the freezer remains cool. Likely there are other things that I can cook up in there, but I’ll have to do so quietly. I can’t afford for anyone living or dead to detect me or it will be me in the fryer.

Speaking of fryers, one works fine but the other next to it spits up hot oil. I can’t recall which works properly. Was it the right or the left? Perhaps the zombies can help sort it out for me.

If I have to eat hushpuppies till I die, then that’s how it’s going to be. But that wouldn’t be so bad, would it? Death by hushpuppy? There are far worse ways to die, and it sure beats the heck out of what zombies eat. No wonder their teeth keep falling out of their heads. They might want to think about changing their diets. And flossing.

And wouldn’t it be foolish to die in the act of cooking hushpuppies? Can you imagine the tombstone?

Oh my
This guy died
Just to fry
A few savory
Cornballs

or

Oh, Henry!
Didn’t momma tell you
Hushpuppies are bad for you?

The jokes would be endless! Don’t be the punch line unless there’s no one else living to laugh about it.

Ultimately, I will stay here and starve to death or roll the dice and take my chances downstairs. The circumstances aren’t so dire that I need to make a decision yet, but once I run out of fluids, my hand will be forced.

But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment